Wednesday, August 8, 2007

A Socially Responsible Fund To Consider ...

Today, I am going to write about a socially responsible fund you might want to consider parking some of your cash in. I think it's a cool way to potentially make some money without generating much negative karma.

But before I get to that, I want to point out today's Daily Dose. Today's featured artist is Bruce Springsteen. I remember the first time I listened to one of his albums ... it was at my home in Maine, and I borrowed my sister's copy of Darkness on the Edge of Town.

I was moved by the passion in his voice. He means what he sings. There's no faking it. He rocks. He's one of my heroes. I'm working on his song The River and plan on giving it a go at an open mic within the next couple of weeks. I'll let you know how it goes.

Now, let's get stockin'!

While trolling around my Bloomberg terminal this morning, looking for something interesting to write about, I stumbled upon the Valic II Socially Responsible Fund (VCSRX).

With all the greed and corporate irresponsibility out there, I sometimes grow weary of writing about some of the companies and trading vehicles. But when I found this fund, I had a better feeling and decided to introduce it to my readers.

The VCSRX, incorporated in the United States, is an open-ended fund that invests 80% of its net assets in companies that do not invest in nuclear energy, military weapons, alcohol, tobacco or gambling. I think that rocks!

Some of the companies in the top 10 holdings of the fund include Citigroup, Inc., Microsoft Corp., Bank of America Corp. and JPMorgan Chase Co. Sure, we could draw a philosophical line tieing these companies to less-than-altruistic intentions. But at least they are NOT directly involved in blowing people up, rotting people's livers, destroying people's lungs, and filling people with the false hope of quick wealth.

I'm not suggesting you buy into this fund. I just wanted to point it out for your consideration.

Have a rockin' day!

No comments: