Thursday, August 9, 2007

Why's It Taking So Long To Make An Electric Car?

I've spent most of my day working on some urgent research requests from the big wigs. They're working on some promotional material, and it seems like they're getting their bowels in an uproar to get it out.

But that's done, and I am sure another urgent request will soon hit my mailbox. I have plenty of writing to do for the next issue of the newsletter I write for, but I want to post to the blog before I do anything else.

Today's Daily Dose features Patti Smith. She rocks. I hope you like the videos on here. My favorite tune of hers is Because the Night. Wow. That song kicks some serious ass!

Now to some market commentary:

General Motors' global product chief Bob Lutz said today that his company will begin road testing the Chevy Volt plug-in hybrid next spring. He added that GM is on track to produce the Volt by late 2010. That definitely rocks.

The major problem faced by producers of electric/hybrid cars include the high cost of the batteries and designing batteries that hold a charge long enough to be of use in a vehicle. I'm sure they'll work it out eventually, especially as long as oil prices remain near record highs.

I understand that the world economy is run by oil and that the cost of oil makes it cheaper to use as a fuel. What's shameful is we had the technological prowess and wherewithal to send men to the moon and back nearly 40 years ago, and we still do not have a viable electric car.

WTF?

That's all I have for today. I need to write some other articles.

Have a rockin' day!

No comments: